In this slim collection, critically-acclaimed author and journalist Joseph Vogel gathers together some of his most important pieces on the late King of Pop. Featuring ten articles and a previously unpublished bonus chapter, this fascinating mosaic explores a wide range of subject matter: from the impact of race on Jackson’s career, to the ways he challenged and expanded the definition of “pop,” to never-before-heard histories of his songs.
Get your paperback copy or e-book of Featuring Michael Jackson at:
“Vogel’s prodigious collection of essays – Featuring Michael Jackson – is both a poignant deconstruction and ardent retrofit of the greatest entertainer that ever lived. Vogel presents an honest and beautiful tableau-vivant of this Super-Man In The Mirror that will reflect in our collective consciousness for years to come.” —BARRY MICHAEL COOPER Award-winning journalist for the Village Voice and screenwriter for New Jack City
“Without calling much attention to itself, Vogel’s writing is quietly incendiary and often rather delightfully subversive.” —John Scott G., Music Industry Newswire
1. Second to None: Race, Representation, and the Misunderstood Power of Michael Jackson
2. The Top Ten Michael Jackson Songs of All-Time
3. “Don’t Be Messin’”: The Story Behind Michael Jackson’s Infectious Bad-era Demo
4. Dangerous, Nevermind, and the Reinvention of Pop
5. Inside Michael Jackson’s “Hollywood”
6. On Morphine
7. “Blood on the Dance Floor,” 15 Years Later
8. “Am I the Beast You Visualized?”: The Cultural Abuse of Michael Jackson
9. Cirque du Soleil’s Michael Jackson Immortal Takes Audience on a Dazzling Ride
10. Gone Too Soon: The Many Lives of Michael Jackson’s Elegy
BONUS CHAPTER: Have You Seen His Childhood?